May is Mental Health Awareness Month!
By Laurie Emerson | May 2, 2014 | Featured News
May is Mental Health Awareness Month
Each year millions of Americans face the reality of living with a mental health condition. During the month of May, NAMI Vermont and the rest of the country are bringing awareness to mental illness. Each year we fight stigma, provide support, educate the public and advocate for equal care. Each year, the movement grows stronger. In 2013, President Obama proclaimed May as National Mental Health Awareness Month and brought the issue of mental health to the forefront of our nation’s thoughts.
“Mental health issues are important to focus on year round. Mental Health Awareness Month provides a time for Vermonters to prioritize mental health, inform the public about the needs of the one in four Vermonters affected by mental illness. Most importantly we want to share the message that there is hope and recovery is possible,” said Wendy Beinner, President and CEO of NAMI Vermont.
- Call 1-800-639-6480, NAMI Vermont’s information referral line, to get connected with information about major mental illnesses and Vermont’s resources.
- Bring Family Support , Peer Support, and Mental Health Education to Your Community. Call 1-800-639-6480 ext 103 to register for upcoming trainings!
- Free Family Support Groups: NAMI Vermont offers support groups for families and friends of individuals living with mental illness. CLICK HERE to find a support group near you!
- Free Peer Support Groups: NAMI Vermont Connection Recovery Support Group is an alliance of individuals who have the common experience of living with mental illness. It provides a forum to share experiences and learn about opportunities and challenges regardless of diagnosis. CLICK HERE to find a support group near you!
- Free Education Opportunities: Mental Illness and Recovery is a free one-day workshop for anyone who wants to learn more about major mental illnesses and local resources. CLICK HERE to register for May workshops.
- NAMI Vermont’s Annual Conference – Pathways to Wellness will be held on May 20th. Last year 200 peers, family members and providers joined us at the Lake Morey Resort in Fairlee Vermont for a sold out event. NAMI Vermont has worked hard to create a program that promises to be interesting and relevant to everyone in Vermont’s Mental Health Community. Visit www.namivt.org/program to learn more about this year’s conference and presenters. Call 1-800-639-6480 ext 100 for more information.
- Comedy Divas for Mental Health! Join us at the gorgeous Vergennes Opera House on Saturday, June 7th for a night of hysterical comedy and healing laughter from the Vermont Divas to support free NAMI programs.
- www.namiwalks.org/vermont is taking registrations for Walkers and Wifi-Walkers! If you’re interested in gathering a team (especially a company team!) to show your support, please email email@example.com to register for the July 25th Team Captain Kick-off Luncheon.
One in four Americans will experience a major mental illness in their lifetime. Visit www.namivt.org and www.nami.org to learn more about mental health conditions and NAMI Vermont’s resources for education, advocacy and support. You are not alone.
NAMI Vermont is the state chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of individuals and families affected by mental illness. Through the dedicated efforts of grassroots leaders, NAMI focuses on three cornerstones of activity: Support, Education, and Advocacy.
This entry was posted in Featured News
. Bookmark the permalink